The First Presbyterian Church of Louisville was organized March 23, 1839, by the Rev. James A. Martin and Elder William Meek. The Rev. Martin was part owner and teacher of a school located where the Lutheran Church was later built. For a time, the newly organized church used this school for their services.
The lot on which our church now stands was purchased for $100.00. The church building was built in 1845 with Mr. S.W. Smyth as the contractor. Hand hewn beams are still part of the present structure.
The church bell was cast in 1851 in New York
state for $100.00. It was shipped by water to New Orleans, then transported over
land by an ox-team to Louisville, where it was hung in our steeple. In those
days, it could be heard for five miles around and was used as a signal when
there was a fire or death. It tolled a solemn warning in 1863 when Federal
soldiers were approaching our town.